Journal of Laboratory Physicians
Home About us Ahead of print Current issue Back issues Subscribe Instructions Contact Login 
Wide layoutNarrow layoutPrint this page  Email this page Bookmark this page Small font size Default font size Increase font size 
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 182-189

Comparison of bone marrow aspiration cytology with bone marrow trephine biopsy histopathology: An observational study


Department of Pathology, Pt. BDS, PGIMS, University of Health Sciences, Rohtak, Haryana, India

Correspondence Address:
Monika Gupta
17/8 FM, Medical Enclave, PGIMS, Rohtak, Haryana
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/JLP.JLP_117_16

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Bone marrow examination is a useful investigative tool for the diagnosis of many hematological and nonhematological disorders. Bone marrow aspiration (BMA) provides information about the numerical and cytological features of marrow cells, whereas bone marrow trephine biopsies (BMB) provide excellent appreciation of spatial relationships between cells and of overall bone marrow structure. We conducted this study with the objective of comparing the accuracy of BMA with BMB in the diagnosis of various hematological disorders. Materials and Methods: Both BMA and BMB were performed on a total of 130 cases and a comparative evaluation was performed in 100 cases to see the complementary role of both the procedures. However, 30 cases were excluded due to inadequate BMA, BMB, or both. Immunohistochemistry (IHC) was employed whenever required. Results: In our study of 100 cases, 87% of cases were confirmed on bone marrow biopsy and in remaining 13% of cases final diagnosis was achieved with the help of other ancillary investigations. These cases were excluded for calculation of concordance rate between BMA and BMB. The concordance and disconcordance rate between BMA and BMB was 72.4% and 27.6%, respectively. Conclusion: BMA cytology and trephine biopsy histopathology complement each other and the superiority of one method over the other depended on the underlying disorder. Furthermore, application of ancillary techniques such as flow cytometery and IHC proved to be an additional advantage in further typing of various diseases.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1919    
    Printed50    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded177    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal