Journal of Laboratory Physicians
Home About us Ahead of print Current issue Back issues Subscribe Instructions Contact Login 
Wide layoutNarrow layoutPrint this page  Email this page Bookmark this page Small font size Default font size Increase font size 
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 11  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 270-274

Expression of p57 immunomarker in the classification and differential diagnosis of partial and complete hydatidiform moles


1 Department of Pathology, Bankura Sammilani Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
2 Department of Pathology, Malda Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Saikat Mandal
Department of Pathology, Malda Medical College, Malda, West Bengal
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/JLP.JLP_130_19

Rights and Permissions

BACKGROUND: Hydatidiform mole (HM) is characterized histologically by cystic swelling of the chorionic villi, accompanied by variable trophoblastic proliferation. The most important reason for the correct recognition of moles is that they are associated with an increased risk of persistent trophoblastic disease (invasive mole) or choriocarcinoma. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES: The aim of the study was to determine whether there is any role of p57 in differentiating partial and complete moles by immunohistochemical staining. MATERIALS AND METHODS: A prospective observational study was undertaken in which 40 cases of molar pregnancy included over a period of 2 years. Detailed clinical and family histories were obtained from each patient. Histopathological examination followed by immunohistochemical study with p57 done in each case. Ultrasonography findings and serial titers of serum beta-human chorionic gonadotropin were noted whenever necessary. RESULTS: Among the forty cases included, 25 (62%) had complete molar (CM) pregnancy, whereas the rest 15 (38%) had partial mole (PM). Both CM and PM were more pronounced in the age group of 20–25 years (44% and 60%, respectively), and among nulliparous women (68% and 70% respectively), 17 (42.5%) mothers had a prior history of abortion. In the histologically unequivocal cases of complete mole, 96% (24 of 25) did not express p57 and a single case was focal positive. In contrast, it was strongly and continuously expressed in both villous cytotrophoblast and stromal cells in all cases of PM (15 of 15). CONCLUSION: p57 immunomarker is very helpful to diagnose and differentiate complete and partial HM.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed312    
    Printed21    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded27    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal